RT-1250 2 years later finally got Recteq

Pete6737

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. RT-1250
Hello All
After 2 years of pondering the idea of tossing my Weber smoky mountain for a pellet smoker, it finally happened.

I got tired of breaking down the Weber even though it gave me consistent cooks using a bbq guru. I also ditched my gas grill and small charcoal grill for the pellets, so I’m all in!

I took advantage of buy the 1250 get a 340 for $199. I thought I’d use the 340 for small cooks with just me and my wife, save some fuel with a small grill and fire up the 1250 for long big smokes and the family bbq’s on the weekends.

I’ve been seasoning them both and the sear grates with quick hot cooks with chicken thighs, sausages with grilled peppers and onions and bacon, and I’m moving up to more complex cooks and low and slow.

So far the transition has been ok. I’m learning that like kids, each one has its own personality lol. I noticed the bacon cooked faster on the left side of the 1250. The heating is not even but moving around the meat fixes that for now. I’m getting used to cooking without a direct flame under the meat and I’m hoping the sear grates will help out as I get to understand how hot they get. I ordered an infrared thermometer to keep track since they get hotter than the temp that it set. I don’t want to ruin a steak!

I did have what I think was a fire pot fire once in the 1250 at shutdown. After reading on this forum I’ll lower the temp for several minutes before shutting down.

I haven’t smoked anything yet. Some of my friends are telling me I won’t get the smoke like I did with my last grill but I’m hopeful I can get close, even if I have to use a smoke tube.

Both grills hold temps very well and heat up quickly. The 1250 got to 400 about 2 minutes faster than the 340. No big deal.

The app is ok for getting notifications about the grill temp going hotter or out of range. The temp history page doesn’t work well. It’s cool to name the grills in the app. My wife and I settled on large Marge
And pee wee lol.

Once I get past the learning curve I hope to be able to use these grills to get consistent tasty cooks whether hot and fast burgers or low and slow brisket. So far my cooks have turned out ok, I’m still getting used to the temps and where the food likes to be on the grill.

I’ve read the forums. Thanks to those who’ve posted. The forum and other sites have been helpful getting started!

Recteq lifestyle is here! Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• AE8A44A8-17B0-4CD9-B5E2-F267FF52E604.jpeg
    AE8A44A8-17B0-4CD9-B5E2-F267FF52E604.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 325
Hello All
After 2 years of pondering the idea of tossing my Weber smoky mountain for a pellet smoker, it finally happened.

I got tired of breaking down the Weber even though it gave me consistent cooks using a bbq guru. I also ditched my gas grill and small charcoal grill for the pellets, so I’m all in!

I took advantage of buy the 1250 get a 340 for $199. I thought I’d use the 340 for small cooks with just me and my wife, save some fuel with a small grill and fire up the 1250 for long big smokes and the family bbq’s on the weekends.

I’ve been seasoning them both and the sear grates with quick hot cooks with chicken thighs, sausages with grilled peppers and onions and bacon, and I’m moving up to more complex cooks and low and slow.

So far the transition has been ok. I’m learning that like kids, each one has its own personality lol. I noticed the bacon cooked faster on the left side of the 1250. The heating is not even but moving around the meat fixes that for now. I’m getting used to cooking without a direct flame under the meat and I’m hoping the sear grates will help out as I get to understand how hot they get. I ordered an infrared thermometer to keep track since they get hotter than the temp that it set. I don’t want to ruin a steak!

I did have what I think was a fire pot fire once in the 1250 at shutdown. After reading on this forum I’ll lower the temp for several minutes before shutting down.

I haven’t smoked anything yet. Some of my friends are telling me I won’t get the smoke like I did with my last grill but I’m hopeful I can get close, even if I have to use a smoke tube.

Both grills hold temps very well and heat up quickly. The 1250 got to 400 about 2 minutes faster than the 340. No big deal.

The app is ok for getting notifications about the grill temp going hotter or out of range. The temp history page doesn’t work well. It’s cool to name the grills in the app. My wife and I settled on large Marge
And pee wee lol.

Once I get past the learning curve I hope to be able to use these grills to get consistent tasty cooks whether hot and fast burgers or low and slow brisket. So far my cooks have turned out ok, I’m still getting used to the temps and where the food likes to be on the grill.

I’ve read the forums. Thanks to those who’ve posted. The forum and other sites have been helpful getting started!

Pete
Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay. Congratulations on your new grill👍

Hello All

And pee wee lol.

Pete
Welcome! Despite some recent insanity, people are extremely helpful here, and you’ll be a pro in no time 🙂. Congratulations on your 1250 and 340!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that the 340 is a very capable unit despite its smaller size. And, with the 1250, you can invite the whole neighborhood over. Good luck with both.

Thanks All!
I’m finding the 340 is just the right size for the two of us. It cooks a little bit more evenly. But It is fun to get some elbow room with the 1250!

It was a leap of faith to unload my 3 dedicated grills before I put the Recteqs together. My patio/ pool deck has a cleaner look, easier use and cleanup. Maybe Sunday I’ll take a stab at ribs and jalapeños!

Welcome to the RecTeq family. May your grills stay hot and your cooks remain consistent. This forum has a lot of great members and a plethora of information. If you get bored it is a living compendium of ideas and tips. Looking forward to hearing about your successes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back