2 30 pound turkeys at one time - Thanksgiving here I come...

DanKat

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I am new to the Rec Tec world so am starting off with a bang. I have two birds that I have to cook for Thanksgiving to feed the guests of our campground here in Central Florida. Have spent hours going through this site as well as anything else that I could think up for added suggestions. Yes, smaller birds would have been somewhat easier to finish up but the breakdown to edibles would take more time than I have available.

I will follow the suggestions that I have read on this site but am looking for any other suggestions available. I have a new BFG RT-2500 which will make things much easier. Thanks for anything heading my way!

Dan

Congratulations on the BFG !!
I don't think you'll have a problem. I suggest 350° but do your own research and do what best suits you*... Skin can be a issue at low temps, but also not a worry. It's really the meat you're after !.. cook to a internal temp, not a time*...Spatchcock style is an option also. Post pics and let us know how it went!

Thanksgiving has come and mostly passed. The two 30+ pound birds were successfully cooked and devoured. Here is what went down...

Started preparations on the two big ones the night before to ensure they were thawed out. Thankfully, they both were in great condition with no ice inside. At that time, I cleared out the body cavities and spatchcock'd the birds. I dried the inside and outside of the birds, rubbed in a good coating of olive oil and using Kosher salt, did a good coating. I placed the birds in separate plastic bags and put them back in the refrigerator.

Early next morning I set the BFG to warming up to the cooking temp of 350 degrees. Removed bird one and prepped it with a Cajin Butter injection all over. I did not pull the skin back and butter the area under the skin as I used the injector. I used a mild rub on both sides of the bird and then placed it inside the smoker at temp. Back to the second bird and did the same steps. After both 30 lb birds were safely roosting in the bottom rack of the smoker, I was able to connect 4 temp sensors, one in the breast and one win the thigh.

After the first hour, I coated the outside of each bird with melted butter by dribbling the liquid without knocking off the outside seasoning. Every hour afterward, did the same again.

Three and a half ours after starting, the temperature gages said the ideal temp was reached of 160. I turned off the cooker and let them set inside of the smoker for 35 to 40 minutes.

The cooking phase only took 3.5 hours total for the 30 pound birds (side by side) and everyone thought the turkey was exceedingly moist and well flavored. Spatchcocking is the way to go for the big birds and I would do it again.

IMG_1313.jpeg

Excellent ! Nice job!
I Spatchcocked 2birds today myself! 14#... it sure is a easy way.

Thanksgiving has come and mostly passed. The two 30+ pound birds were successfully cooked and devoured. Here is what went down...

Started preparations on the two big ones the night before to ensure they were thawed out. Thankfully, they both were in great condition with no ice inside. At that time, I cleared out the body cavities and spatchcock'd the birds. I dried the inside and outside of the birds, rubbed in a good coating of olive oil and using Kosher salt, did a good coating. I placed the birds in separate plastic bags and put them back in the refrigerator.

Early next morning I set the BFG to warming up to the cooking temp of 350 degrees. Removed bird one and prepped it with a Cajin Butter injection all over. I did not pull the skin back and butter the area under the skin as I used the injector. I used a mild rub on both sides of the bird and then placed it inside the smoker at temp. Back to the second bird and did the same steps. After both 30 lb birds were safely roosting in the bottom rack of the smoker, I was able to connect 4 temp sensors, one in the breast and one win the thigh.

After the first hour, I coated the outside of each bird with melted butter by dribbling the liquid without knocking off the outside seasoning. Every hour afterward, did the same again.

Three and a half ours after starting, the temperature gages said the ideal temp was reached of 160. I turned off the cooker and let them set inside of the smoker for 35 to 40 minutes.

The cooking phase only took 3.5 hours total for the 30 pound birds (side by side) and everyone thought the turkey was exceedingly moist and well flavored. Spatchcocking is the way to go for the big birds and I would do it again.

View attachment 1585
Holy moly those look beautiful and sooo good.

Nicely done bud.

What rub did you use?

looks good. I have cooked 3 turkeys so far, all spatchcocked, aroun 12-14 pounds. 2 in one cook for work and 1 on Thanksgiving for family.

I know this is an old post but I'll be doing something similar on the same grill. How was the skin?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back