1st shot at spare ribs

EchoTech

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Came out ok, didn't take pictures but looked great. Made 2 racks with 2 different rubs (Holy voodoo and Byrons butt rub).

Did the 321 at 225 with a little temp increase at the end. Basically, 225 at 3 hr, 225 wrapped in foil for 2 hrs, 225 unwrapped for 25 mins then 275 for another 20 mins. Let it rest and again, was ok, not great, wife like it, but a little to mushy for me. Maybe it was the long wrap or all the ingredients within the foil. When I took the ribs off at the 3 hr mark. I lined the inside foil with: margarine, brown sugar, honey and more rub ,maybe this was too much and should've just left the wrapping plain, idk.

I'm pretty new to smoking but I'm assuming the mushiness came from the wrapping for so long, seems more of a steam, slow cooker thing to tenderize but maybe there's a fine line between tender and mush. It's hard to explain the mush perspective, but wasn't bad, but the bite felt a little too tender, a firmer bite/taste is kinda what I was anticipating.

After watching countless vids and reading threads, maybe it's a preference thing on whether to wrap and cooking temps. I was debating on going with 275, but for the 1st try, I thought I'd go with the safer route with 225 and timed cooking. Seems like 275 is more of a feel when they're ready to wrap and when to unwrap and when they're done. Seemed like to many variables to mess me up.

So I have 1 more rack in the freezer, think on this next go around, I'm thinking. 225 with no wrapping and check the bend test in 5 hours or so. Maybe 275 for 4 hrs with a smoke tube for the 1st 2-3 hours, Not sure, guess it's a try various versions and see what works.

I tried chicken wings 2 weeks ago, came out great and crispy. Did another batch a few days ago, and the skin was an inner tube, but the meat was awesome.

You might have overloaded on the wrap. Try something simple like a spray bottle with apple juice. Just a light coating will do. That works for me.

Hi ET. For the reason you have outlined, this is one of the reasons I do not wrap my ribs anymore. I just put rub on the ribs, usually in the fridge overnight and then on the pit at 225 until done 6-7 hours or so. If I am bound for time, I will bump the temp up to 275 near the end of the cook. For the first few hours I use the Extreme Smoke function for a little added smoke flavor. If I can remember, I will spritz with apple juice every hour or so. They come out pretty darn good with this method.

I am actually making chicken wings and sausage tonight. I rub the wings with Oak Ridge Smoked Chili and Lime Rub or Dan's Backyard BBQ All Purpose Rub while the pit is heating up. When pit hits 190 I put the wings on and leave them for 90 minutes with Extreme Smoke function. After 90 minutes I bump the temp up to 425 for another 35-45 minutes. They have always come out very moist and tasty with a great bite through skin. Would not call it crispy, but a very good chew. there are tons of great wing cooking methods on this site.

I’ve smoked a lot of ribs on my UDS but did my first ribs on my 700 a couple days ago, definitely a different experience. 2 hours on Lo to get as much smoke as possible then a 1/2 hour at 225. Wrapped them for 1 hour at 250 (brown sugar, butter & honey). Then naked back on on the grates with a light glaze of sauce. They were bight off the bone, definitely not mushy. Could have left them on a little longer but had no complaints.

Attachments

• C3218DFC-0281-433D-B7DD-9DE27F9A85C9.jpeg
    C3218DFC-0281-433D-B7DD-9DE27F9A85C9.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Gonna try the no wrap next time and see what happens.

I’ve been doing 1 hour on LO, 2 hours @225, 1 hour wrapped, and about 45 minutes or so to finish off sauced and all have turned out great. This is on the 340 mind you, so having the smaller chamber probably helps a little with this method. I dunno. It’s working, so I’m not changing it. Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back