Stampede 16 LBS Turkey

GNickens

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Doing a 16lbs turkey for Thanksgiving looking for advice.

Should I do 250 for 2 hours and then 350 until breast is at 160 degrees?

Or 250 for an hour and then do 3 hours at 350 while finishing at 400 until breast at 160.

I've done 170 in the breast and 180 for the thigh +/-.

I'm sure there are 50 different cooking variations but you'll get more smoke at lower temps if that's what you want, like 200 or so, you could finish @ 350 although I don't know how long it'd take. I use 350 the whole way as I don't want much smoke with poultry.

Also doing a 16 pounder for Thanksgiving but I'm spatchcocking it. I plan on 325 the whole time. Since higher temps mean less smoke, I just purchased a smoker tube by LizzyQ, from Amazon, to boost the smokiness.

Also doing a 16 pounder for Thanksgiving but I'm spatchcocking it. I plan on 325 the whole time. Since higher temps mean less smoke, I just purchased a smoker tube by LizzyQ, from Amazon, to boost the smokiness.
This is what I do too.

This is pretty much what I'm doing for Thanksgiving. 16.5 lb, spatchcocking with a smoke tube for the first 2 hours at 300 (that may change).
Then the next day, the leftovers go into my annual gumbo. It's tough to have to live like this. :)

I thought I read somewhere that some turkeys can be too big to smoke. Is there a weight limit?

Time, more evenly cooked, takes on more smoke if wanted.

Got her on at 9am at 225 to start...smoker tube going, too.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! 🦃🍗🥧
20211125_092352.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back