Stampede 13 Lb turkey - broken down

mikeporter616

It's not my fault!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I'm planning on breaking down my turkey as outlined in the link below. I'm thinking 350 for the smoke and about 2 hours until 165 on the breast. Does this sound reasonable? I'm going to need to put it in a cooler and travel ~45 minutes after smoking, so I'm trying to get the timing right. Thanks.

To me the hardest part of any type of grilling is getting your timing to match the meats. Your plan is as sound as any. Let us know how it comes out broken down.

I cooked a whole breast today. I smoked at 275 for 20+ min then put in a cast iron pan (to capture juices) at 350. Since I know it will be reheated I pulled @160 so warming it would’t over cook. Maybe put a probe in a thigh so you can take off if it gets done before breast pieces. Your 45 min “rest” should keep it moist. Sounds like a pretty good plan. I like the idea of doing in pieces.

You are not going to get a lot of smoke at 350, but it depends on what you are shooting for. I think you better plan to 3-4 hours for a 12-14lb bird.

Traeger has quite a few turkey recipes.....they all kind of fall in one of the categories below:

If you want more smoke flavor, start at 225 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 100-110 degrees. Then, to finish the bird and get it on the table, raise the temperature up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

You can also just do it at 300 for the whole time. Since you are transporting, going to 160 is fine - it'll keep cooking a bit once you pull it, and will hit 165.

Another option is, start at 400, put the bird in for 30 minutes and do the rest of the time at 300. This will generally give you a pretty crisp skin.

Edit. Missed the cutting into pieces part. The above is for a whole bird, which honestly, will probably transport better as far as temps.

Not much smoke, but really good!
13 LB Turkey
Section to: Breasts, wings, legs and thighs
Use carcass and neck for stock
Rub:
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
Light olive oil
Dry brine in refrigerator overnight
Smoke on RT-590 @ 350 F for ~75 minutes - 165 F in breast
Place in foil pan, wrap with towels and in cooler for 4 hours (unplanned as cooking time was so short)
Slice and plate
Wonderful taste and texture - got rave reviews - skin could have been crispier

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back