❄️ Ohio Style BBQ - Secret Ingredient ❄️

Beach_Glass_Lounge

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
  2. RT-1250
Aside from mustard based sauces and other Eastern European influences, the secret ingredient in Ohio style BBQ is ICE ICE baby haha.. The Bull performs like a champ in 15°… No thermal blanket needed.
791D4B0B-857B-4CB5-BB38-2A32701241D5.jpeg

That’s the shot of the week. Did you notice a difference in the pellet feed rates or consumption?
Thanks! I wasn’t able to notice any material difference in the feed rate or consumption but I’m going by eye. I did a pork butt in 8° 3 weeks ago and the bull climbed right up to 250 and stayed there the entire cook. Couldn’t be more impressed with these smokers.

The only noticeable difference I found smoking in the cold is when I open the lid for some reason the temp drops like a rock. As does the meat temp if I pull it out to wrap.
I‘ve seen that when I used to grill in Limestone, Maine, years ago on an assignment working in subzero weather. We used an interesting trick. We would fill any open space with cast iron skillets and they would create a thermal insulator that allowed the temps to recover quicker without creating hotspots or introducing other variables. You have to wait for them to get up to temperature which can take a while but once hot, they rock! That was when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we were using stick burners but what the heck, can’t hurt to try, just keep them away from the temp probes.

I‘ve seen that when I used to grill in Limestone, Maine, years ago on an assignment working in subzero weather. We used an interesting trick. We would fill any open space with cast iron skillets and they would create a thermal insulator that allowed the temps to recover quicker without creating hotspots or introducing other variables. You have to wait for them to get up to temperature which can take a while but once hot, they rock! That was when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we were using stick burners but what the heck, can’t hurt to try, just keep them away from the temp probes.
I’ve used some clean fire brick in a similar manner during winter cooks. Anything that will store heat and act as a thermal equalizer.

This has to be one best tricks I’ve heard.. I haven’t heard many BBQ stories from up north on the podcasts and such. Cast iron is amazing. I spent many years working as a glass blower.. Glass is a poor conductor of heat and loses temp very fast.. That’s why the heads of the blow pipes are cast iron.. They stay hot and continue to deliver heat to the glass well beyond the time in the furnace. I will try out that cast iron pan trick if I’m out in negative temps! Very cool that you all did that..

This has to be one best tricks I’ve heard.. I haven’t heard many BBQ stories from up north on the podcasts and such. Cast iron is amazing. I spent many years working as a glass blower.. Glass is a poor conductor of heat and loses temp very fast.. That’s why the heads of the blow pipes are cast iron.. They stay hot and continue to deliver heat to the glass well beyond the time in the furnace. I will try out that cast iron pan trick if I’m out in negative temps! Very cool that you all did that..
Beach…

Glad to be helpful. You will find a treasure trove of information on this site and we all have a common goal. Producing the best food possible on our devices, whatever they may be. I also think you are the first glass blower on the site. If you remember any tricks from working with that media that could make us better at our craft, please be sure to share. I personally try not to bring “glass“ to the outdoor cooking experience in case I fumble and break a container. Unfortunately, that may be limiting my cooking experience which is not my intent.

Beach…

Glad to be helpful. You will find a treasure trove of information on this site and we all have a common goal. Producing the best food possible on our devices, whatever they may be. I also think you are the first glass blower on the site. If you remember any tricks from working with that media that could make us better at our craft, please be sure to share. I personally try not to bring “glass“ to the outdoor cooking experience in case I fumble and break a container. Unfortunately, that may be limiting my cooking experience which is not my intent.
Not sure there’s a great use for glass in the bbq process.. I’ve seen people do gimmicky kind of stuff like throwing a filet of fish on a hot glass bubble.. But I wouldn’t see how that would actually taste good.. People with limited cooking experience would probably think it’s amazing haha

Save the cast Iron for cooking.
Go get a half dozen fire brick and line the bottom and around the the fire box.
Your welcome!

That makes a ton of sense as well! I frequently use both materials in the glass blowing studio. Cast iron delivers a much more severe burn than fire brick whilst hot haha.. Don’t touch either one when hot. But cast iron is the better conductor.. Probably not the best insulator though…. Kilns are lined with break and are excellent insulation up to 1,000.
Save the cast Iron for cooking.
Go get a half dozen fire brick and line the bottom and around the the fire box.
Your welcome!

Very useful thanks

I also added a downdraft exhaust to mine as it adds a bit more smoke and keeps temps more even from side to side.
It is similar to this one but without the name. You can open the vent and it is normal mode and close it the smoke has to circle round to go out the bottom. Same sq inches of exhaust so it doesn't restrict the airflow at all.
Great little add on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dow...E&sclient=products-cc#spd=8274141808029347368

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back